Saturday, January 15, 2011

5 Minutes


Amazing what we can do with time- waste it, buy it, take it, spend it, bide it, kill it, lose it, save it. And time on its own is pretty busy as well- time flies, time waits (for no man), time is a river, time passes, time stands still.

Right now I have a lot of time. I'm on vacation. I don't have to be anywhere or do anything in particular on any kind of schedule. I have a list of tasks I want to accomplish, but no real deadline to accomplish them. At least no pressing deadline.

So, I find I waste a lot of time without a fixed deadline. However, sometimes, I just don't have time to waste! Here, then, a list of 10 tasks I usually put off that really would only take me 5 minutes to accomplish. Maybe you could take 5 minutes and do some of these as well. So, kill some time, waste your time, spend some time, take some time and pass the time looking over the list:
  1. Write one thank you note.
  2. Fold one load of laundry.
  3. Water your plants.
  4. Stand up and stretch.
  5. Drink a glass of water. Skip the bottled stuff.
  6. Write a shopping list.
  7. Go through the 'medicine cabinet' and toss expired or unused prescriptions. Check here for help on how to dispose of old meds.
  8. Brush the dog or cat. (Secondary benefit- relaxation!)
  9. Take something out of the freezer for dinner.
  10. Go find your kid, spouse, SO, best friend- hug that person and say, 'I love you!'
5 minutes. That's all it takes to make a big dent in your stress level by connecting with someone you love, nourishing those you love (even the plants!) and doing someone for yourself. Not to mention ticking one more 'to do' off your list!

5 minutes. What are you waiting for? Time's passing!

(Bonus- make your bed! 80% of 'cleaning' a bedroom is making the bed!)

White Cedar Inn Bed and Breakfast 178 Main Street Freeport, Maine 04032

No comments: