Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Decoupage du Jour

4 decoupaged tables
Finished up my decoupage projects yesterday. Had a little test run overnight to see how the surfaces held up to wet glassware left on the nightstands. The results are in!

The tests were on the decoupaged surfaces as follows:

  1. Modge Podge only
  2. Modge Podge with a coat of paste wax (car wax)
  3. Modge Podge that had been wiped over with furniture polish
And here's what happened- white rings on #1 & #2, no marks at all when the surfaces were 'polished'.

(BTW- The best results are obtained when coasters are used. We have them on every nightstand. Hint, hint!)

test board
This is my test board. There are about 5 thin coats of Modge Podge on the sheet of scrapbooking paper that I used. I sectioned the board in thirds, with the left side having the car wax, the right side being the furniture polish and the middle being just the Modge Podge.

Yesterday, around 3 PM I dipped the bottom of each glass in the bowl of water and set them, dripping wet, on each section. I took them off this morning and found white rings, which DO disappear, on sections 1 & 2. Because I'd rather not worry about it, I'm going to 'polish' the tops of the nightstands with Pledge as there were no rings on that section.

I painted the other 2 nightstands that go in the Winthrop Fogg and I like them so much better now, that I am not going to decoupage them, just put another coat on the top and pop them back in the room, newly painted.

Next up? Painting the window sills in the Bowdoin. The sills have gotten pretty beat up over the years and I can't keep up with refinishing them whenever it rains and the windows are left open or if something wet is left there overnight. I need to sand a little and then prime. So the actual color will go on tomorrow.

More pix as I go along.

Rock is working on the 3rd bathroom!

White Cedar Inn Bed and Breakfast 178 Main Street Freeport, Maine 04032

2 comments:

Unknown said...

GREAT experiment! I never even thought about the polish. You learn something new every day! Did you just spray the polish on there and wipe it off? What type did you use? Thanks for posting this!

Monica said...

Hi Modge Podge Amy!

I used Pledge. Just sprayed it on and wiped it off, same as I would to 'dust'.

Do you have any other suggestions for 'sealing' the decoupage?

The problem arises from wet glasses, which is why I did the experiment I did!

I used your blog for ideas. Great stuff!


Monica