In the spirit of short lists, here are 10 things you can do in Maine every year in October:
- Take a foliage drive. Start as you cross the bridge in Kittery and continue on up Rt 1 until you get to Canada! Foliage drives are best during the first 3 weeks of Oct.
- Celebrate the bounty of Maine at Harvest on the Harbor. (Portland- Oct 21, 22, 23, 2010)
- Run (or cheer) the Maine Marathon. (Portland- Oct 3, 2010)
- Bike, walk, run (or cheer) the Dempsey Challenge. (Lewiston/Auburn- Oct 2-3, 2010)
- Shop at a Farmers Market. Gorgeous produce, craft items, soaps, specialty foods and more.
- Eat the last of the lobsters at any of the great lobster shacks along the coast. (Most close in Oct until next year.)
- Attend a fair- Cumberland County, Fryeburg and more local agricultural fairs
- Visit the kids at College!
- Take a hike- Bradbury Mountain, Wolfe Neck Woods, Winslow Park and more.
- Hit the waves- Casco Bay Lines, Portland Windjammer, Sail Freeport.
Bonus thing to do- Great Falls Auction and Flea Market at Owls Head Transportation Museum- Oct 30 & 31, 2010
White Cedar Inn Bed and Breakfast 178 Main St Freeport, Maine 04032