This is just a quick link to the White Cedar Inn's web page with a list of local restaurants. We have made it our goal to try each of these this year. Of course, we've made a good dent in the list already. Bon Appetit!
As always, if you have a favorite place to eat, let me know and I'll add it to the list!
Sunday, April 06, 2008
Friday, April 04, 2008
OK, here it is, the long-awaited '10 Things to Do on Route 1'. Two weeks ago we drove from Freeport to Camden and these are some things we stopped to do along the way. Some are just fun places I thought you'd like to visit and others are places we always like to go. Read away! It's a 2 hour drive from here to Camden, give or take, depending on traffic. Sometimes we can make it in an hour and a half. The mileages I listed are from the front door of our place, White Cedar Inn. (Click the bold names for links to their websites.)
- Frost Gully Gallery (Freeport)- An eclectic mix of artists. Gallery open 12-5, weekdays. Just 1 mile from here.
- Shelter Institute (Woolwich)- Learn how to build your own timberframe house at one of their classes, buy the tools you need or just revel in the joy of the home building craft at its finest. 23 miles from here.
- Montsweag Flea Market (Woolwich)- Mostly outdoors, some tables under cover. Seasonal, Wed, Fri, Sat, Sun 6:30 AM (yes, AM!) to 3 PM. 23 miles from here, just past the Shelter Inst, on left.
- Avalon Antiques Market(Wiscasset)- 3 floors of everything you could imagine. I went back yesterday to buy a pair of 'Feathered Bird' pictures that Rock really liked that we had seen on the trip to Camden. They are simply a painted backdrop on which are added 'birds' made with real feathers. Why he likes these 'works of art' is anyone guess, but he does! My friend, Shellie, (see Claiborne House blog) said they were generally made in the Philippines and were a common wedding gift from 1920-1940. Oh joy, there must be millions of them out there. 25 miles from here.
- Red's Eats - famous for years, this really is worth the stop for one of the best lobster rolls we've ever had. Seasonal. 37 miles from here.
- Fawcett's Toy Museum (Waldoboro)- We haven't stopped in here, yet, but are planning to do so before summer. It just sounds too interesting to miss! Seasonal. 49 miles from here.
- Lie-Nielsen Toolworks (Warren)- I have heard grown men wax lyrical about this 'tool shop'. It's a toy box for the serious wood crafter. 8:30 AM- 5 PM, M-F, Saturday hours in July & August only. 50 miles from here.
- Maine State Prison Store (Thomaston)- There are some truly unique items in this store. Even if you aren't planning on buying anything, you should at least stop by to see the 'Biker & Mermaid' carving in the window. Open daily 9-5, with holiday and snow day exceptions. 57 miles from here.
- Maine Lighthouse Museum (Rockland)- For the lighthouse lover! Check hours before stopping in.
- Down East Magazine (Rockport)- You've read the magazine for years, now's the time to stop in and look over all those books you keep meaning to order!
White Cedar Inn Bed and Breakfast 178 Main St Freeport, Maine 04032
Posted by Monica
Tuesday, April 01, 2008
The Fourth Annual Flavors of Freeport Festival will be focused on all the 'Flavors of Freeport'! The festival will take place in various locations around Freeport on March 25-27, 2011.
The flavors will include:
- Wine, beer and vodka tastings;
- The fabulously successful 'Chef's Signature Series' that showcases the local Freeport talent, combined with the above-mentioned libations;
- The Third Annual Freeport B&B Dessert Challenge where all Freeport B&B's are invited to bring their best dessert recipe to the table;
- A 10x10 Art Show and sale on Friday night at the Chef's Signature Series;
- The First Annual Celebrity Waiter Lunch on Saturday.
- Other events based on participation.
Saturday at lunchtime, enjoy the inaugural Celebrity Waiter Lunch with local celebrities doing their best to entertain and amuse you during a 3-course lunch. Tipping your celebrity waiter will benefit 2 local charities- Freeport Community Services and Habitat for Humanity. The more tips, the bigger the donation! And, the server who collects the most tips will win the soon-to-be-coveted Celebrity Waiter Award. Tickets are $38/person which includes your 3 course lunch, soft drinks, coffee and tax.
There's something for everyone at the Flavors of Freeport. Book early for the best room selection!
To purchase tickets to the events, please go to the Flavors of Freeport website. Advance ticket purchases are advised. Tickets are also available at the door. Seating for the Celebrity Waiter Lunch is limited.
White Cedar Inn Bed & Breakfast 178 Main St Freeport, Maine 04032
Posted by Monica