Go here. See this. Do that.
Maine has such an incredible diversity in nature that it is impossible to see it all in one trip! From ocean to lake to river to mountain to desert, it's here.
There are hundreds of different museums, parks, beaches, historic sites and much more.
We've created a tiny list of 100 things you can do within 100 miles of the inn. Take a look and then plan your trip. Remember there is so much more to do and see.
In no particular order 100 things to do within 100 miles...
Freeport Conservation Trails: located all over the greater Freeport area, most within 5 miles-
- Tidebrook Trail- from the coast to the forest
- Quarry Trail- EB Mallett's granite quarry, trail through the woods.
Maine Forts: located all over the state, these are some of the ones a short drive away-
- Fort Baldwin- near the original Phippsburg Colony
- Fort Allen- on the Eastern Prom in Portland
- Fort Popham- at the end of Rt 209 just past Popham Beach
Wildlife viewing: a variety of Maine fauna can be seen in the wild.
- Maine Wildlife Park- located in Gray, Maine, about 20 minutes away. Rehabilitation site for moose, cougar, bald eagles, black bear and more.
- Puffin Watch Cruise- seasonal, from May to August. Tour leaves at 5:30 PM from New Harbor.
- Lobster Boat Cruise- from Portland. 4 trips/day from May to October. Learn about lobsters, bait the traps, see the Casco Bay.
- Maine Audubon at Gilsland Farm- 20 minutes away, nature preserve.
- Hope Elephants- scenic 90 minute drive through blueberry barrens and lake areas. 45 minute presentation on the elephant rescue mission.
- Alewives Run- every May-June, the alewives, a breed of herring, return to Damariscotta Lake to spawn. Along with the alewives come the many different types of raptors that depend on them for food- bald eagles, osprey, hawks and more.
- Whale Watching- explore the feeding grounds of migrating whales! Minke whales, harbor seals, pelagic birds and more.
On the Waterfront: Water? We've got that here! Take a walk along the shore, get out on a lobster boat or kayak, take the mail boat or a ferry. Lots of ways to enjoy yourself along the coast-
- Island Romance- day trip around Bailey Island leaving from Cook's Lobster House.
- Casco Bay Mail Boat- 3 hour cruise around Casco Bay to five different islands to deliver and pick up the mail, cargo and passengers. Can't beat the price for this one!
- Giant's Stairs Walking Trail- walk along the cliffs overlooking the Casco Bay.
- Marginal Way Walking Trail- gorgeous trail overlooking the Atlantic in Ogunquit.
- Popham Beach- about 45 minutes from here, my favorite beach in Maine! (I have a million pix and posts about Popham Beach. You can use the search bar up on the right of the blog to see more!)
- Bold Coast- stunning views of the rocky shoreline. (Okay, this on is definitely more than 100 miles away, 196 to be exact, but if you're going Downeast, you have to see this!)
- Mackworth Island - short, easy hike on a tiny island in Csco Bay. Great views of Fort Gorges and distant views of Portland Head Light.
- Cape Porpoise and the Kennebunks - wonderful coastal drive in the off season! Very crowded in season.
Things to do with kids: almost everything listed here will have some facet that is perfect for kids. But, some things are just really kid-centric!
- Maine State Aquarium- combine this with a trip to the rocky beach at Hendrick's Head Lighthouse and a hike on the Hendrick's Head Trail!
- Maine Wildlife Park- kids will love the opportunity to get up close to the moose, big cats and bears. Not to worry, no touching allowed!
- Fairy Houses - bring along some natural components or build them from scratch with found objects on Mackworth Island. Easy trail for kids with beach access.Playground when school is not in session.
Food: every great vacation involves local foods! Regional specialties here include lobster, Maine shrimp, potatoes, whoopie pies and more-
- Maine Beer Trail- take a short drive to a lot of local breweries, including two right here in Freeport!
- Maine Foodie Tour- guided tours around Portland with samplings at a variety of food purveyors.
- Freeport Restaurant List- updated regularly when new restaurants open!
- Cold River Vodka Tour- daily tours from noon onward. 4 miles from here.