Monday, February 01, 2010

A Jade Plant Blooms in Freeport



(Apologies to Betty Smith.)

I was so excited today when I realized the jade plant is in bloom! We've had a lot of guests ask if we've ever seen it bloom and this is the first time. Apparently it is supposed to bloom, but you could have fooled me.

It's blooming on the side that faces directly into the sun but nowhere else. Some reading up online showed that they will bloom around Christmas (in this area) if all conditions are met. My guess is that it bloomed now because the room it is in (the dining room) has been completely dark now in the nighttime for over a month.

It may be that the parking lot light, which is pretty bright, was retarding the blooming. That light has been off almost all of January. We've had some brilliantly sunny days lately, et voila! we get a booming jade plant.

It'll be a little bit before I can tell if it has a scent. Maybe when it opens up a bit more.

Some more reading indicates it's time to re-pot the sucker. Oy. I'm not sure I'm up to that challenge. If you've ever re-potted something as unwieldy as that jade, please let me know how you did it.

No comments: