|Fairy houses abound in the forest!|
|Fairy houses use all found, natural materials|
|Fairies keep pesky mice in the jail house.|
|Bark makes a lovely decorative element!|
|Uh oh, this little fairy has been tippling!|
|Lovely rooftop deck on this little house!|
|Definitely an avant garde fairy lives here!|
Building fairy houses is fairly easy although that's no guarantee you'll get a fairy to come and live there. Fairies, although not excessively particular, do require a few basic necessities before they move in.
- Your fairy house needs to be protected from the wind (fairies don't weigh very much and they don't like being blown around).
- There should be bits of greenery (so the fairies can blend in if the cat comes nosing around).
- All the materials should be natural (fairies don't like plastic, but they do have a soft spot for little bits of sea glass).
- They like a little walkway leading up to the front door (when it's raining they don't like to get their feet muddy). Small pebbles or seashells are wonderful for this.
- A nice sturdy roof keeps them safe from owls.
- Pine cones of various sizes are perfect for storing their little bits and bobs.
- Kelp makes excellent flooring.
- Because they are naturally eco-minded, fairies don't want you pulling apart living things. So only use twigs, leaves and bark that have already been shed by the trees. Moss is lovely for a little couch but moss is a living thing so shouldn't be used.
- Fairies from different parts of the world have all different kinds of houses, what kind of house can you build with what you find in your neighborhood?
Stop at the gatehouse for directions to the parking area. The parking lot is VERY small, so visitors are limited. Entry fee is $3 for out of state over 12 years old and $2 for in state residents.
The entire trail is 1.5 miles. Fairy houses are in various locations (see if you can spot them!) but the 'Village' is about halfway around the trail. Beach access in a variety of locations all around the island. Great views to Portland.
White Cedar Inn Bed and Breakfast 178 Main St Freeport, Maine 04032