Did you grow up in a place that had an ice cream truck that went around your neighborhood? If ever there was a Pied Piper sound, it was the ding-ding of the ice cream truck. To this day, I still turn my head when I hear that sound.
It's not one I'm likely to hear where we live now, but that doesn't stop me from wanting to stand in line and get all excited about picking out my favorite ice cream when summertime hits! You might think that without the ice cream truck coming around, it could be hard to find ice cream in Freeport unless we went to the grocery store. Right there you would be wrong!
Without further ado, I suggest you bring your ice cream taste buds to Freeport and sample our local favorites as well as some national brands. Who really does have the best ice cream on Main Street?
We've got the spot where all the Little Leaguers go after games. The spot where the ice cream cognescenti gather. The spot that comes complete with classic cars. The spot that's so well hidden you might miss it.
Here then, in no particular order, is a mostly walkable list of ice cream highlights in Freeport, Maine where you can indulge your ice cream passion:
- Ben & Jerry's Scoop Shop - in Discovery Park (LL Bean)
- Hershey's Ice Cream- Main St, at Derosier's Market (where the Little Leaguers hang out)
- Gifford Ice Cream- Main St, lower level of the 9 West building (local favorite, well-hidden)
- Classic Custard- Rt 1 South, at Classic Cook Out, next door to Classic Convertibles (Flavor of the Day regularly sells out, so get there early!)
- McDonald's- Main St, near Friendly's
- Gelato Fiasco at Derosier
- Gelato at Fresh Batch
White Cedar Inn Bed and Breakfast 178 Main Street Freeport, Maine 04032