Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Maple Sugar Season at White Cedar Inn

Today was the day we had our maple trees tapped for the first time! Check out this little video...



This is Crawford Taisey who lives up the street from us. He stopped by today to tap the trees. For those of you who are au courant with tree-tapping technology, he is using the new check-valve maple tap spout developed at UVM (my alma mater).

I spent a solid half hour annoying this good-natured guy with my photographing and video-making. It was to good purpose- I learned about tapping trees, how many taps per tree is optimum (based on the tree circumference), what not to do (tap so hard the bark splits) and lots of other (tasty) tidbits.

Some time in the next few weeks, I'll head up to the sugarhouse for the sugaring off process.

So, enjoy the video. I know I'm thinking about the syrup that's coming up!

March 10- Just saw Crawford outside emptying the buckets. Looks like he got a few gallons of sap!

First day of Spring- I noticed Crawford was boiling today so I'll have to pop up there this week to get pix.

White Cedar Inn Bed and Breakfast 178 Main St Freeport, Maine 04032

4 comments:

Innkeeper Jane said...

Wow! Waffles with Maple Syrup right from your own yard! Enjoy your time at the sugarhouse and eat some sugar-on-snow for me!

Pam said...

Just today on our news (here in Lancaster, NH) we heard about this new valve --- it prohibits the bacteria growth which closes up the hole, and allows the sap to run longer. Very ingenious. And you have them! Pam

Monica said...

Hey Pam! It's a really small world isn't it!

I just saw them in the Portland Press Herald a few days ago and then Crawford showed up with them.

I went to UVM so it's neat when I see something from the old school!

Monica

Monica said...

Yeah, Jane, we're looking forward to our own syrup!