Saturday, January 22, 2011

Trail Mix- February Recipe of the Month


I'm on a trail mix kick. I've been buying it at CVS but my friend, Jackie (of Jacqueline's Tea Room) keeps harping on me to make my own and stop spending so much on pre-made trail mix. So, I did it. Here's my recipe, but heck, it's trail mix, throw in there what YOU like!

2 lbs of mixed nuts
2 cups raisins
2 cups M&M's
2 sealable containers (I use the plastic container the nuts come in and a separate jar with a lid.)

Options:

banana chips
dried cranberries
chocolate chips
Reeses pieces
chocolate covered blueberries

Pour half of the mixed nuts (I get the kind with almonds, cashews, peanuts, Brazil nuts, filberts, pecans & walnuts) into a sealable container. You should now have 2 containers with half the nuts in each one. Divide the raisins & M&M's into each container of nuts. Shake to mix. If the raisins are all clumped up, break them apart before putting into the mix, you want to spread the raisin-y joy around a bit.

Voila! And, if you don't want to make that much trail mix, you can cut the raisins and M&M's by half and have some mixed nuts without the raisins & candy. You can also buy only the nuts you like and mix those in whatever proportion makes you happy.

BTW, a serving size is 1/4 cup. Hmmm. THAT could be the explanation for the 'shrinking pants' phenomena.

White Cedar Inn Bed and Breakfast 178 Main Street Freeport, Maine 04032

No comments: